And The Ocean Was Our Sky by Patrick Ness and illustrated by Rovina Cai

And The Ocean Was Our Sky
Author: Patrick Ness
Illustrator: Rovina Cai
Publisher: Walker Books
Release Date: 1sr September 2018
Pages: 159 pages
R.R.P: $24.99
Call me Bathsheba

The whales of Bathsheba's pod live for the hunt. Led by the formidable Captain Alexandra, they fight a never-ending war against men. So it has been, so it shall always be.

Then the whales attack a man ship, and instead of easy prey they find the trail of a myth, a monster, perhaps the devil himself...

With their relentless Captain leading the chase, they embark on the final hunt, one that will forever change the worlds of whales and men.

My Review
Thoughts on the book: And the Ocean was our Sky is the new book from Patick Ness, illustrated by Rovina Cal, is the whales version of Moby Dick where they hunt the humans. Told from the point of view of Bathsheba, the whales are on the hunt for Toby Wick, the human ship who has taken out more whales than any other, the devil. Bathsheba is an apprentice to Captain Alexandra and they have been hunting for awhile now for the devil so that they can end the destruction of whales. And the Ocean was our Sky is their version of what happened during the downfall of Toby Wick. 

Thank you so much to Walker books for sending me a copy of And the Ocean was our Sky and allowing me the opportunity to review it for you. I must admit I have never read Moby Dick or know much about the story but was intruiged by the sound of this book and thought I would give it a crack. Beautifully illustrated throughout its short 159 pages I quickly read through the book. Unfortunately as much as I enjoyed reading it, it just wasn't for me. I haven't read anything by Patrick Ness before and I've heard only good things about his writing but maybe I should have picked a different book to start off my reading journey with him because this fell very short of the mark of a fantastic book. I do have to say that the illustrations really helped boost the story along though and helped give an insight into what Patrick was envisioning. I will defiantly be passing this book onto my kids to read though and I'm sure they will love it more than I do, especially my oldest.

Rating: 3/5




Comments