The Rift by Rachael Craw

The Rift
Author: Rachael Craw
Publisher: Walker Books Australia
Release date: 1st November 2018
Pages: 358 pages
R.R.P: $19.99


When the Rift opens,
Death follows.

For generations, the Rangers of Black Water Island have guarded the Old Herd against horrors released by the Rift. Cal West, an apprentice Ranger with a rare scar and even rarer gifts, fights daily to prove he belongs within their ranks. After nine years away, Meg Archer returns to her childhood home only to find the Island is facing a new threat that not even the Rangers are prepared for. Meg and Cal can’t ignore their attraction, but can they face their darkest fears to save the Island from disaster?

My Review
Thoughts on the book: The Rift is the new stand alone novel from the award winning author of the Spark series, Rachael Craw. The Rift is told in dual POV that of Meg Archer and Cal West. Meg Archer grew up on the Island but had to leave due to an incident and is now coming back for the first time in nine years. Her best friend at the time, Cal West stayed on the island and has been training to be a Ranger in that time. Neither have seen or heard from each other since the incident that caused Meg to leave and now they are meeting for the first time since. But things on the island aren't what they always have been. The Rangers look after the island and the Herd but since Meg's return something has changed. Will the Rangers be able to save their island and the Herd before it's too late? 

A massive thank you to Walker Books Australia for sending me a copy of The Rift by Rachael Craw to read and review. The Rift was a much anticipated book throughout the bookstagrammer community and especially for fans of loveozya. I was of course one of the many who couldn't wait to get their hands on a copy and start it. I finally started it this year and it was nothing like what I expected it to be. For some reason I had the distinct impression that the book was set in space for some reason and so of course when I got reading I soon learnt how wrong I was and I think this was the beginning moments of me not liking the book to the extent I should have. From here I felt like I was constantly confused about what was happening because I expected everything to be set in space and everything was happening on an Island that had I think it a mythical deer heard, I'm not too sure, that the Rangers were protecting. Even as I'm writing this review I'm still getting confused about what happened in the book. I'm proud of myself though as I did preserve and I did finish it which I was very happy about.  I think I'm going to try reading it again later on as well with a clear mind knowing that it's not set in space and I think the second time around it will make way more sense. 

Rating: 2.5/5

Comments