Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake

Two Dark Reigns
Author: Kendare Blake
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Release date: 25th September 2018
Pages: 447 pages
R.R.P: $17.99

One Crowned, Two Exhiled, A Revelotion Rising.

The battle has been fought, blood has been spilt and a queen has been crowned, but not all are happy with the outcome.
Katherine, the poisoner queen, has been crowned and is trying to ignore the whispers that call her illegitimate, undead, cursed.
Mirabella and Arsinoe have escaped the island of Fennbirn, but how long before the island calls them back?
Jules is returning to Fennbirn and has become the unlikely figurehead of a revolution threatening to topple Katherine's already unsteady rule.
But what good is a revolution if something is wrong with the island itself?

My Review
Thought in the book: Two Dark Reigns is the third book in the Three Dark Crown series by Kendare Blake which follows triplets Katherine, Mirabella and Arsinoe as they all settle into their new roles. Katherine, the poisoner queen has now been crowned but the people still don't trust her and whispers follow her wherever she goes that she is undead. It doesn't help that since she became queen a fog has been rolling into their land and taking people and returning them dead. But no one knows what is causing it and so Katherine entasks her council to see if they can find out what is happening. Meanwhile Arsinoe and Mirabella are living on the mainland with Billy but not everything is going swimmingly. Both have lost their powers and struggle to live without them while also trying to learn the ways of the mainland. But things become harder for the pair when Arsinoe starts having dreams about the Blue Queen and starts to learn what happened to her. Jules has returned to Fennbirn and has been recruited to be the face of a revolution against the new queen. Jules doesn't believe anyone will follow her but as they go through more and more towns more people believe what she is saying and the revolution picks up pace. When the revolution starts who will come out on top and who will actually make it out alive?

Thank you so much to Hannah from Pan Macmillan Australia for sending me a copy of Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake to read and review. I was so excited to pick up Two Dark Reigns and start reading it because I wanted to see where we were taken next and I believed that it was the last book in what I thought was to be a trilogy. But to my suprise upon finishing the last couple of pages I was met with a To be concluded... Now I was very happy to see this because the book was not shaping up to be anything like I imagined it wS going to be. 

Now from the get go I have had a big love hate relationship with this series. I didn't have much time at all for book one, Three Dark Crowns and found it to be very slow and very confusing. Move onto book two, One Dark Throne and I adored this and couldn't get enough of it. I was in love with the series and it taught me that even if I didn't enjoy book one of a series I should try book two just in case it gets better like this series did. But imagine how I felt when book three, Two Dark Reigns ended up being a lot like book one. I was constantly confused on what was happening throughout the book and found it really really slow and then when it got to the big fight scene I found it really lacking. I think the only thing that saved it for me was the ending and knowing that another book was coming along that will hopefully wrap up the series and follow in book two's direction with a more satisfying story. But I'm also wondering if because I hadn't read the novella, Queens of Fennbirn that that's why I was also confused. I have a copy now and am hoping to read it in the new year and hopefully that will clear a few things up. But let's bring on 2019 and the conclusion to this hit and miss series for me.

Rating: 3/5

Comments