A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews

A Thousand Perfect Notes 
Author: C.G. Dress
Publisher: Hachette Australia
Release Date: June 2018
Pages: 276 pages
R.R.P: $16.99
                                        
Beck hates his life. He hates his violent mother. He hates his home. Most of all, he hates his home. Most of all,he hates the piano that his mother forces him to play hour after hour, day after day. He will never play as she did before illness ended her career and left her bitter and broken. But Beck is too scared to stand up to his mother, and tell her his true passion, which is composing his own music- because the least suggestion of rebellion on his part ends in violence. 

When Beck meets August, a girl full of life, energy and laughter, love begins to awaken within him and he glimpses a way to escape his painful existence. But dare he reach for it?

My review
Thoughts on the book: A Thousand Perfect Notes is the amazingly hard hitting debut novel from a fellow bookstagrammer turned author C.G. Drews. This much anticipated novel tells the story of Beck a piano prodigy if his mother has anything to do with it. Beck's mother and her brother were world famous pianists until his mother develops an illness that causes her to not be able to play anymore. Because her dream was taken away she puts all her frustration into Beck and constantly abuses him, both mentally and physically and constantly makes him play the piano so he can become better, despite the fact that he will live up to her expectations. Beck's whole life is one miserable mess until he gets paired up with August for a school assignment. August is everything Beck is not and despite their rocky start, suddenly they are spending all their time together and Beck is second guessing everything that he thought his life was meant to be. Will Beck finally stand up to his mother once and for all or will he keep being under her thumb?

A massive thank you to Amy from Hachette for sending me a copy of A Thousand Perfect Notes to review. I bet you could have heard my squeal when I recieved it from wherever you are. I was so excited and danced around the house singing 'I've got it, I've got it' my kids thought I was crazy, properly my neighbours too. So in case you have been living under a rock I have been following Paper Fury (aka C.G. Drews) for a few years now and absolutely adore her blog and Instagram account so when she announced that her book was being published I immediately knew that I wanted it and boy what a book it is. 

I started A Thousand Perfect Notes right before I was planning on going to bed and was only going to read a chapter. Next thing I know I'm seven chapters in and still not looking at stopping anytime soon. I was quickly wrapped up in Beck's world and couldn't stop reading until I found out what happened. I was so enraged with The Maestro with the abuse she threw at Beck and his sister, Joey but was comforted then by August and her quirky ways. I loved how we got to learn a bit of German throughout the book and also got to feel how Beck felt when he really played the piano for himself. There are so many moments throughout the book where you just get all the feels and the biggest feel you will get is the ending. There was no way that I could have seen the book ending like it did but it was beautiful and heartrenching and touching all in one. Well done on an amazing debut C.G. Drews you deserve all the praise that you will receive from this amazing novel.

Rating: 5/5


Comments