Book Review: Rain Fall by Ella West

Rain Fall
Author: Ella West
Publisher: Allen and Unwin
Release date: 2 January 2018
Pages: 224 pages
R.R.P: $16.99
                                       
This morning I'm not running late, like I usually am. Maybe that's why I look in the river, maybe that's why I stop when I see it. It's s coat. Floating. A dark coloured raincoat. I can see the outside of it, the arms spread wide, heading hood-first down the river. And then it starts to rain.

A small town loses 1000 jobs as the coal industry shudders to a halt. 15 year old Annie just wants to school in time for her basketball match, but the police have cordoned off her street. How inconvenient! But inconvenience turns to something more serious when the house down the road explodes in a fireball. Annie has known the young man who lives there all her life. Could he possibly be guilty? Or is there something deeper going on?

In searching for the truth, Annie discovers more than she planned: a handsome new friend, an aptitude for trick riding and a potentially deadly secret.

My review
Thoughts on the book:             MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Nothing normally happens in Annie's small hometown that is until her neighbour shoots up the local police station and then barricades himself in his house, next thing the house is blown up and her hometown is swarmed with police trying to work out what went wrong. Annie doesn't believe that what they are saying about her neighbour is true and defends him all she can. While taking her horse out for a ride, she meets a stranger along the beach near her house riding his horse as well. Getting to know each other they quickly learn that they each may hold clues to the mystery that is going on and just maybe they might be able to solve what actually happened.

Massive thank you to Jessica Seaborn from Allen and Unwin for sending a review copy of Rain Fall my way. Rain Fall was a fast read that is proberly more suited to I would say the middle grade genre more than young adult, which I think it's properly young adult because of the relationship between Annie and  Jack. I really liked the mystery that was trying to find out what happened to Annie's neighbour Pete and the other things that are happening around the town. I like how Jack and Annie worked together to try and figure out what was happening. They both had connections to what happened and so we had different points of view to work with. And I was pleasantly surprised with how the mystery was wrapped up in the end. I didn't like the relationship in the book but I only think this is because it went from 0 to 60 so fast. I mean one second they are just presently riding along the beach next second they are kissing and saying they love each other. I mean don't get me wrong they seemed to make a great couple but it just went to quick for me especially considering she is only 15.

Although this book isn't anywhere near a favourite I did really enjoy it and will pass it along to my kids to read when they are older.

Rating: 3/5


Comments