Date A Book YA read along- Stalking Jack The Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco Part 2

Stalking Jack The Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco Part 2
                                       

I've only just realised that I never posted my second half of this read-a-long that I did last year. I think this was because I was in the middle of moving and thought I has posted it when I didn't. Aww well better late than never.

The second half of the readathon commenced on November 10th and went until November 20th. We were required to read Chapter 15 until the end of the book which in the paperback version I read was pages 151-318. I devoured the second half of this book and was quite surprised by the ending. I didn't pick the killer which always seems to be the way as I always go for the obvious choice I think. Just when I think I have everything figured out I couldn't be further from the truth. Audrey is an amazing heroine and a pioneer in her time making way for future women to follow their dreams and not let anyone tell you differently. Her partner in crime Thomas Cresswell is a very interesting character too and I loved the connection that they made with each other. 

Here are the discussion points for the second half of Stalking Jack the Ripper.
1. Did you know much about Jack the Ripper before starting the book – are you aware that the victims named in the book were the real victims of the Ripper, not fictionalised accounts (including the assault of Emma Elizabeth Smith in May which is not typically attributed to Jack the Ripper)? 
I didn't know much about Jack the Ripper at all before reading Stalking Jack the Ripper which I think was a good move. It meant that I didn't go into the book with preconceptions about what would happen and who Jack the Ripper was or who his victims were. But now having read this and finding out some information about Stalking Jack the Ripper I really want to go and find out some more about it all. I think that's the beautiful thing about authors using historical moments for inspiration with their books. It inspires us all to go out and actually seek more information about our history.

2. Did you guess the identity of Jack the Ripper early on or was it a shock? 
I thought I had guessed who Jack the Ripper was but I couldn't have been more wrong. It's hard to really say more on the subject without giving it away but I will say I was kind of on the right track just the wrong person.

3. We wouldn’t be able to pass up mentioning Audrey Rose and Thomas’ flirtations. They’re very improper for the time period, but we’re happy to make an exception for their budding romance. What’s your take on the two of them as a potential couple? Or are they better suited as crime solving partners? Or a bit of both? 
I love Audrey Rose and Thomas' flirtations and I think they make a fantastic couple and crime solving partners. They certainly bounce off each other and have great comradery together and I think that's what makes them such a fantastic duo. Their relationship is certainly unique and I would love to have read more about them.

I can't wait to read book 2 in the series Hunting Price Dracula.




Comments