Book Review: The Sun is also a Star by Nicola Yoon

The Sun is Also a Star
Author: Nicola Yoon
Publisher: Penguin Random House Australia
Pages: 344 pages
R.R.P: $19.99
The story of a girl, a boy, and the universe

Natasha: I'm a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I'm defiantly not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won't be my story.

Daniel: I've always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents' high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when j see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store- for both of us.

The universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?
My review
Thoughts on the book: Right from the start The Sun is Also a Star captures your interest and doesn't let go until the very last second and the possibilities that are intertwined in the story leave you contemplating the possibilities for hours. In the Sun is Also a Star, Natasha is on her way to make a last ditch effort to prevent her family from being extradited to Jamacia and Daniel is off to one of the biggest interview of his life, which he believes will mean the end of his childhood. A chance encounter sees Daniel and Natasha meeting and, acting on a whim Daniel decides is from above, decides that he is going to spend the day with her and make her fall in love with him. What follows is an amazingly day where we share some of the highs and lows that Natasha and Daniel experience, we fall in love all over again for the first time and all the while your hoping that the outcome that each character is seeking is the right one.

When you have a seven month old baby you don't tend to get much reading done, as in my case they are crawling all over the place, so you savour the time you do get. Well I certainly savoured the time I got to read this. I savoured it that much that I would stay up later than normal and wake up earlier than normal just to read it. I throughly enjoyed the writing in The Sun is Also a Star and I must commend the author, Nicola Yoon, for holding my attention throughout the book. I found the characters of Natasha and Daniel to be very likeable and I was thrilled that the author made them both of different nationalities  and discussed the hardships that they both faced when presenting the other to their parents. It's hard to remember that this all happened in one day in the book. Imagine what it would have been like to go through that everyday with your family. Having to try and get them to accept the person you love all the time all because they are a little different to you. It's a very good talking point as it the storyline about deportation.

One thing I find a little annoying is the whole falling in love in a day. Yes this is one of the major ingediants in this plot but I really find it hard to be,I've that you can fall in love with someone in a day. I have met some amazing people in my life but I wouldn't go so far as to say I have fallen in love instantly. I think it takes a while to get to know someone before you can love them. You may have strong feelings for them but how many times in your life have you absolutely hated someone and a week or a even a day later have changed your mind completely and loved them or the opposite. I do believe there is someone out there for everyone but I don't believe you will fall in love in one day. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Rating: 4/5

Comments