Book Review: Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

Three Dark Crowns
Author: Kendare Blake
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Pages: 401 pages
R.R.P: $16.99
Three sisters. One throne. A fight to the death.

In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born: three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katherine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomach ache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of beasts.

But becoming the Queen Criwned isn't solely a matter of Royal birth. Each sister has tonight for it. And it's not just a game of win or lose... It's life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.
The last queen standing gets the crown.

My review
Thoughts on the book: This is such a hard review to write. Having just read some of my favourite books of 2016 I picked up Three Dark Crowns with very high expectations in mind. I mean the plot synopsis of the book was amazing and sounded like it would be a fantastic story, alas it didn't live up to my expectations at all. Right off the bat I was really confused as so many new characters were being thrown at me at once and I didn't know who was who. I felt like every page a new character was there and I had to quickly make a little chart to work out who was who and how they were connected. So because this happened I felt like I wasn't really getting into the story at all because I was just so confused about what was happening. There are also no real set chapters or no real set POV's which also makes it really confusing. There are headings that state the place where that part of the story is being set, but within that "chapter" as many as three to four characters POV's are being told and all that really separates them is a paragraph. 

Because of this I struggled for a week to finish this book. I almost gave up about half way through, but upon reading other people's reviews I learnt that most people were in the same position but ended up sticking it out and they were glad that they did. So I did stick it out and I am glad that I did. I think the story picked up around page 290 which was the start of the Beltane Festival. Once the story was set there I felt much more at ease and flew through the rest of the book. The ending was very surprising and I never would have guessed that it would end up that way. But upon reflecting on it I can see how what happened would work (I don't want to give too much away about it). So after finishing Three Dark Crowns it has left me wanting to read the sequel but I just hope that it is a bit better set out.

Rating: 3/5








Comments