Book Review: Tell us Something True by Dan Reinhardt

Tell Us Something True
Author: Dana Reinhardt
Publisher: Oneworld
Pages: 202 pages
R.R.P: $16.99

Seventeen year old River doesn't know what to do with himself when Penny, the girl he adores, dumps him.mhe lives in LA, where nobody walks anywhere, and Penny was his ride; he never bothered getting a licence. He's stuck. He's desperate. He's lonely.

One afternoon he does the unthinkable- he starts walking, and stumbles on a support group for teens with addictions. He fakes his way into the meetings and begins to connect either the other kids, and when he finds himself falling for one of the girls in the group a delightful comedy of errors ensuses. River wants to tell the truth, but he can't stop lying, and his tangle of deception ,as unravel before he learns how to handle the most potent drug of all: true love.

My review
Thoughts on the book: Well I just added another book to my 2016 favourites. This time it is the fabulous Tell us Something True by Dana Reinhardt. Though it is a rather short book, 202 pages which you absolutely fly through, so much happens in that short amount of time which is a real tribute to the author and her fabulous writing. There is also a hidden twist that I didn't see coming at all. It literally hit me in the face when it was revealed and then I sat back and found that it was laid out right in front of me the whole time and I just never put two and two together. Dana Reindhart makes the short 202 pages feel like a 400/500 page book with the amazing detail that goes into the storyline and our main character River. From the first couple of paragraphs you know your in for a fantastic ride.

Up until the afternoon Penny Brockaway dumped me in the middle of Echo Park Lake, I didn't believe in fate.
Before you start conjuring visions of me in a zippered body bag sinking to the bottom of that filthy water, I mean to say she dumped me, as in broke up with me, as in she took my heart and stomped on it while wearing a pair of those clunky boots she liked, and then she got behind the wheel of her SUV and she drove over it before picking up what flattened pieces were left and tossing them in the compost bin.

I think I also found one of my favourite male characters for 2016 too, River. I  picture him to be a bit like Sheldon off the Big Bang Theory. He is just a very likeable character who has no clue about anything, such as since being with Penny he basically gave up his perfectly normal life and did whatever she wanted, he even stopped hanging around his friends who he had been friends with for years. So when they finally break up he really has no idea how to function without her, River believes he can't live without her and if Penny just realised how much he loved her then she would want him back. Slowly, overtime he realises just how big of a jerk he had been and vows to turn his life around.

So if you are looking for your next favourite YA book look no further than Tell us Somethjng True. 

Rating: 5/5









Comments