Book Review: Frankie by Shivaun Plozza

Frankie
Author: Shivaun Plozza
Publisher: Penguin Tenn Australia
RRP: $17.99
Pages: 314 pages
Frankie Vega is angry. Just ask the guy whose nose she broke. Or the cop investigating the burglary she witnessed. Or her cheating ex-boyfriend or her aunt who's tired of giving second chances...

When a kid shows up claiming to be Frankie's half brother. He opens the door to a past she doesn't want to remember. And when he goes missing, the only person willing to help is a boy with stupidly blue eyes... and secrets of his own.

Frankie's search for the truth could change her life, or cost her everything.

My Review
Thoughts on the book: Ok where to start with this Review. I had heard so many amazing things about Frankie from so many of my book friends that I just had to request it for review. From reading the blurb it sounded like it would be right up there with everything I have been reading lately. Well I hate to be a downer but I didn't really like it, which is really sad as so many people rave about it and the first line of the book is really appealing, 'Don't tell him where you live. Don't give him any money. Don't trust a word he says.' That's what Aunt Vinnie said about Xavier.' 

Ok so what went wrong? Well for me I just couldn't get into the story. The main character Frankie is a strong minded, bad mouthed girl from Collingwood who lives with her aunt after her mother abandoned her and unexpectedly one day learns that she has a brother. Sounds like a great character right. Well for some reason I just couldn't connect with her and this caused me to not connect with the other characters or the storyline. I felt certain parts of the story were rushed and we didn't get enough background information to make sense of why or what was happening in these parts. I especially found that the ending was rushed and I know I finished wishing for more.

 I really struggled with reading Frankie and had to put the book down for a while before I picked it up and read it again. Most of the time if I struggle this much I put the book in my did not finish pile and don't go back to it. But as I was reading this just after I had my baby I thought it might have been all the lack of sleep that caused me to lose interest. Sadly it wasn't, but I'm glad that I preserved and finished the book. 

Rating: 2.5/5


Comments