Book Review: Black Cairn Point by Claire McFall

Black Cairn Point
Author: Claire McFall
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Pages: 259 pages
 
Two survivors,
One terrible truth.
Heather agrees to a camping holiday with Dougie and his friends because she's desperate to get closer to him. But when they disturb a pagan burial above the beach, Heather becomes a certain that they have woken a malevolent spirit. Something is alive out there in the pitch-black dark, and it is planning deadly revenge.
One year later Heather knows that she was very lucky to escape Black Cairn Point relatively unscathed, but she is still waiting for Dougie to wake from his coma.
If he doesn't how will she prove her sanity, and her innocence?

My Review
Thoughts on the book: The description that I was given of Black Cairn Point was what lead me to request a review copy and I certainly wasn't disappointed with what I read. Black Cairn Point is alternately told from Heather's POV in the past and the present. I had no idea what I was really in for when reading this YA thriller and was quickly turning the pages trying to find out what the hell was going on. There were so many twists and turns that at times I was left sitting there trying to figure out what the hell was going on. When I reached the end I was truly left stunned. I never would have thought that what happened out there happened the way it did and that is what makes Black Cairn Point a truly magical read that would have you drawn in from the first page right until the very end.
Here is a fantastic example of her writing.
Now what? The brooch was still here, still here, still far too close. But so far away that I couldn't retrieve it. If I went into that tent, I wouldn't come back out. Not with the creature so close behind. I helplessly ahead of myself, hoping desperately that the brooch would magically reappear, fly far away and take the creature with it.
Though my eyes were fixed, my feet kept running. I didn't see the hole, the hole I'd dug with my own foot, sitting waiting by the fire. My ankle twisted awkwardly beneath me and my leg buckled under my weight. I fell, landing on the sand with a thud.
My heart stopped. I took one quick breath, hunched my shoulders, closed my eyes. Waited for it.
So everyone go out and by a copy you certainly won't be disappointed as it is one of my top 10 books for 2015.

Rating: 5/5

Comments