Interview with Jennifer Kean, National Publicity Manager at The Five Mile Press

I was lucky enough to get to interview my contact who I deal with at Hot Key Books, Jennifer Kean. Below is that interview

Hi Jennifer. Thanks for agreeing to answer a few questions for us. So you are the National Publicity Manager at The Five Mile Press can you tell us what your job entails?

What would an average day be like for you?
There is a lot of variety in my role, particularly because of the way our company is structured. I am working across a variety of titles from picture books, YA fiction as well as our adult list. These lists are both local and UK originated releases, so the publicity requirements for these books and their authors and illustrators differ greatly.
My job description involves tailoring publicity plans or campaigns to best suit the title that I’m working on.
I work with a variety of media – newspapers, magazines, teacher and librarian journals, industry publications, as well as TV and radio – to get review coverage, media coverage and interviews.
I also work with contacts at many bookstores, schools and libraries as well as a number of writing festival committees and publishing industry groups to organise book launches, book signing events and author/illustrator appearances. 
Have you always wanted to work in the book industry?

I’ve always loved anything to do with the written word. English was my favourite subject at school, reading and writing and the notion of being ‘an author’ was so romantic to me, so I always knew I was never going to be an accountant! I worked voluntarily at my local paper while studying at high school and again during university, but I decided that a career in journalism wasn’t for me. Although I loved writing and the media, I wanted to use my Marketing & Media qualifications in a broader sense. So, I set my heart on breaking into the publishing industry. Over ten years later and I’ve progressed from an entry level marketing role to a senior publicity role where I am lucky to combine my love of books and writing where I get to liaise with a variety of media and work with ‘real authors’ too!   

What has been your favourite book that you have promoted?


What book are you eagerly anticipating at the moment?

I’m really looking forward to reading Sally Gardner’s new title The Door That Led to Where from our YA Hot Key list, releasing early 2015.

But, I’m currently reading The Perfectionists by Sara Shepard, the best-selling author of Pretty Little Liars. If you enjoy the guilty-pleasure of watching shows like Gossip Girl and Revenge, like I do, then this is for you.   


What are your favourite authors?
Paullina Simon’s is one of  my favourite authors. She is also a captivating speaker, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed meeting her on several of Melbourne visits in recent years.
As for a childhood favourite? The imagination of Roald Dahl’s is hard to beat – I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve The B.F.G.

 If you could only read one book for the rest of your life what would it be?
I would have to say Paullina Simon’s ‘The Bronze Horseman‘ historical fiction trilogy. It’s such a powerful story on so many levels. It’s also a heart-stopping love story… aaah if only Alexander Belov wasn’t just alive on the pages!

Thanks so much Jennifer it has been a pleasure having you here on Jessica’s Bookworld.


Comments