Goddess Review




Goddess
Author: Laura Powell
Publisher: Bloomsbury Australia
Goddess
Some vows are destined to be broken.
Strikes. Starvation. Riots. Britain is at breaking point.
The Cult of Artemis is the only home Aura has ever known. Enclosed in its luxury lifestyle, the unrest gripping the country seems to belong to a distant world. Her dream is to serve the goddess, and taking a vow of chastity and obedience seems a small price to pay.
But days before Aura is due to be initiated as a priestess, she meets Aiden, the rebellious son of a cult insider, whose radical ideas and unsettling charm force Aura to question everything- and everyone- she knows.

My Review
About the book: Aura was found on the steps of the Cult of Artemis when she was a baby. She was taken in and raised in the Cults image. Aura is currently preparing to be initiated as a priestess and is one of two currently in the running to be the next High Priestess of the Cult.
Goddess starts off with everyone at the sixteenth Festival of Goddess. Everything is running smoothly until an unknown man starts yelling at the current High Priestess and throws a bucket of snakes at her. Everyone is taken away and told not to worry about the situation. But something about it doesn’t sit right with Aura and she starts to question some things. Then Aiden enters her life (he is helping out the Cult with working in their Archive as his community service) and he starts telling her things that are being hidden from her.
At first she doesn’t pay attention to what he says. But upon feeling the almighty Goddess within her and sprouting a prophecy out, she tells the current High Priestess all about it. Suddenly the high priestess is telling everyone the wrong prophecy. Now Aura knows that something is not right, and on her initiation night she escapes with the help of Aiden. Suddenly she’s not only on the run from the very people who she believed to be her family but is also the new face for the rebellion that is happening around the city. With great power comes great responsibility and so will Aura follow the Goddess or will she follow her heart?

What I Liked: So upon reading what the book was about I was quite intrigued to read it and see just how much it would measure up to my expectations. It certainly didn’t disappoint me and I will admit that I loved it a whole lot more than I thought I would. Goddess was a really quick read for me that just seemed to get more and more exciting as I read on. I felt so many feelings throughout the book and I found myself rooting for Aura right from the start and once Aiden came along I was almost begging the author to let them hook up as they had the most amazing chemistry. Anyone looking in from the outside would just know that they would end up together because it was so clear they were each other’s missing piece in their lives. I also was shouting and wanting to through my book at the High Priestess for not believing in Aura and causing so much pain and trouble for her. I also wanted to hug Aura when she finds out about her real parents. Feeling all these different feelings in one book is when you now you have stumbled upon a fantastic read.

What I didn’t like: SPOLIER ALERT
I felt that the ending was a little rushed. I mean one second her father shoots the high priestess and himself the next things we know Aura is giving her last oracle and is leaving the cult forever. I would have loved to have found out more about what she felt like finding out about her parents and how she felt she was coping on the outside without the cult. But these are just little things that I would have loved to have known.

My favourite character: My favourite character in Goddess would have to be Aura closely followed by Cally. Aura because no matter how much she is challenged in her faith, such as people not believing her oracle and Aiden revealing that he wants to be by her side as a partner, she only once gives in to temptation but knows as soon as she does that she has done the wrong thing and tries to make it up to the Goddess. She chooses the Goddess over the chance of true love and not many people would do that. And Cally is a close second as even though she is a little snotty spoilt child, in the end she comes to realise that she has been following the wrong person and ends up saving Aura’s life. She completely transforms by the end of the book.

Favourite quote/part:


Rating: 4/5

Comments