Red Hill Review

Red Hill
By: Jamie McGuire
Publisher: Simon and Schuster


I know the world ended on a Friday. It was the last day I saw my children…
For Scarlet, raising two daughters alone means fighting for tomorrow is an everyday battle. Nathan, desperately clinging to a dead-end job and a loveless marriage, survives purely for his little girl, Zoe. Whilst Miranda’s biggest problem is driving her sister home from college with their boyfriends, whilst keeping her new Mini Cooper scratch free.

When news comes of a deadly epidemic, panic seeps into homes all over the world and chaos ensues… Knowing that they can’t outrun the danger, they all head for shelter and security at the same secluded ranch- Red Hill.

When a normal day spins out of control and the world comes crashing to an end, how far will they go to save their loved ones? Would you slow down to help a stranger if you were both running for your lives?

Set against the backdrop of a brilliantly realized apocalyptic world, love somehow finds a way to survive. But what happens when the one you’d die for becomes the one who could destroy you?

My review
Plot:  When the zombie apocalypse breaks out across the world Nathan, Scarlet and Miranda all end up heading towards the same place, Red Hill (Miranda’s father’s place). But they all didn’t realise how hard it would be for them to reach it. On their way there, they each suffer some loses and come face to face with some difficult situations that even the most bravest people would struggle with. Finally they all reach Red Hill thinking that everything would be ok once they reach there, little do they know that they will suffer some of the worst times in their lives here. Scarlet is awaiting the arrival of her children, who she left a message for on their father’s wall saying to come to Red Hill. Despite everything that they go through Scarlet never gives up hope that her girls are coming.

What I liked about the book: So I went into this book not really knowing what to expect and I think that is what I liked about it the most. Because I didn’t really know what to expect the book was more exciting and when the twists and turns happened I was expecting them. Also I was so used to the way that Jamie McGuire wrote the Beautiful Disaster series that Red Hill was a complete surprise as it was written completely different. And I have to say that I enjoyed it just as much.

What I didn’t like about the book: Okay so some of you may know this and some of you may not, but I really struggled to get into this book. It took me until I was about 50 or so pages in and then I couldn’t stop reading it. So I would say the only thing that I didn’t like about the book was that it took me so long to get into it, which in a way really was hard to accept as I loved her Beautiful Disaster series. But in saying that I think that it was because it was a different genre and had to be written differently due to in not being all lovey dovey.

Favourite character: I think my favourite character would have to be Scarlet. From the very start she knew that she had to get to her children and when she discovered that they weren’t where they were supposed to be she made sure that she left them a note to tell them where she was going. Scarlet had a destination in mind and she never let anything get in her way from reaching it. She also never gave up hope that her daughters were still alive and coming to Red Hill. Everything she did was for them and she even gave up the chance to have a real relationship because she felt she was being unfaithful to her girls.

Favourite part/quote:
I looked at him, touched his face, and pressed my lips against his. “I didn’t really understand when you said the end of the world was the best thing to have happened to you, and how it was so close to perfect. But now that everyone in our family is here… and safe… I get it.”
“Our family, huh?” he smiled.
“They’re finally here,” I said, shaking my head in disbelief. I smirked when a random thought popped into my head. “Four girls. You’re outnumbered.”
“I think I can handle that.”
I laughed once. “I love you.”
His eyebrows pulled in, and he smiled like those words made him so happy that it hurt. “Now it’s perfect.”

If you like these books then you will love this book:

Rating: 4/5


Comments