The Fiery Heart Review

The Fiery Heart
By Richelle Mead
Publisher: Penguin Teen Australia
 
In The Indigo Spell, Sydney was torn between the Alchemist way of life and what her heart and gut are telling her to do. And in one breathtaking moment that Richelle Mead fans will never forget, she made a decision that shocker even her…
But the struggle isn’t over for Sydney yet. As she navigates the aftermath of her life-changing decision, she still finds herself pulled in too many directions at once. Her sister Zoe has arrives and while Sydney longs to grow closer to her, there’s still so much she must keep secret. Working with Marcus has changed the way she views the Alchemists, and Sydney must tread a careful path as she harnesses her profound magical ability to undermine the way of life she was raised to defend. Consumed by passion and vengeance, Sydney struggles to keep her secret life under wraps as the threat of exposure- and re-education- looms larger than ever.

My review
Plot: The Fiery Heart is the fourth book in the Bloodlines series and is told from the points of view of Adrian and Sydney. The Fiery Heart takes place not long after The Indigo Spell finishes, which was when Zoe turned up on Sydney’s door stop saying that she was now a part of this mission and was there to help with Sydney. So now Sydney has to deal with not only hiding her relationship with Adrian and the other vampires, the fact that she can do magic and that her alchemist flower that makes her do everything that Alchemists are supposed to is no longer valid. So begins a dangerous journey of deception and careful planning, but will Sydney be able to hide everything for as long as she needs?

What I liked about the book: I loved learning more about Zoe throughout the book. Even though she is kind of a bitch and thinks that Sydney is spending more time and energy on the whole mission than is needed. It defiantly gave me a new and different view of how an alchemist just out of training is and that they would do anything to keep away from vampires in general. It just makes me see exactly how far Sydney has come from where she started to now.
I also loved reading about how Sydney and Adrian’s relationship is progressing. They really are making the most of the little time that they get given inbetween everything that is happening around them. I think that they are my favourite couple, more so than Rose and Dimitri, out of both the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series.

What I didn’t like about the book: There is only one thing to hate about Richelle Mead’s books and that is the massive cliffhangers that she always seems to put into the end of each book. And let me tell you I think this one is her worst one yet. I mean come on:
“All right,” I managed to say, just before I crumpled to the floor. “Let’s see what you’ve got.”

Favourite character: I think my favourite character in The Fiery Heart would have to be Adrian. He has grown so much throughout the whole series and I think that in this book alone he grows the most out of all. He is willing to stop smoking, drinking and giving up spirit and going on anti-depressants to help be the best person for not only himself but also for Sydney. That is a massive thing to do considering his spirit is all he has ever known and is the only thing that he feels lets him contribute to what is going on. Of course there is also the fact that he is incredibly cute and every girl would dream of having him not only as their boyfriend but visiting them into their dreams as well.

Favourite part/quote: I loved this part between Adrian and Sydney.
“Our lips met hungrily, and his clever artistic hands wrapped around my hips. A sudden buzz from my regular cell phone startled me from the kissing.
“Don’t,” said Adrian, his eyes ablaze and breathing ragged.
“What if there’s a crisis at school?” I asked. “What if Angeline ‘accidently’ stole one of the campus buses and drove it into the library?”
“Why would she do that?”
“Are you saying she wouldn’t?”
He sighed. “Go check it.”

5/5


Comments