Review: Slammed

Slammed
By Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Australia
 Slammed (Slammed, #1)
Layken’s father died suddenly, leaving her to gather every ounce of strength to be a pillar for her family, in order to prevent their world from falling apart. Now her life is taking another unexpected turn…

Layken’s mother gets a job which leads to an unwanted move across the country. However, a new home means new neighbours… and Layken’s new neighbour is the very attractive Will Cooper.

Will has an intriguing passion for slam poetry, and a matching passion for life.  The two feel an irresistible attraction but are rocked to the core when a shocking revelation brings their romance to a screeching halt. Layken and Will must find a way to fight the forces that threaten to tear them apart… or learn to live without one another.

My review
(does kinder contain spoiler alerts)
First off I have to say that normally I don’t really like poetry in books all that much. But I didn’t really mind it that much in Slammed and can understand why Colleen Hoover decided to call the book Slammed.
Another thing that I would like to mention (and this is kinder a bit of a spoiler alert) is that the relationship between Layken and Will kind of reminds me of Ezra and Aria in Pretty Little Liars. They both hook up with an older boy that they have never met and then can’t stop thinking about them. Then they walk into school when it starts back and low and behold their hot hookup is actually their new teacher. But also in saying that I like when this happens. It certainly puts an entertaining spin on the storyline and I loved seeing where this relationship would take me.
I have to say that Colleen Hoover has written a winning character with Layken. She is so strong and no matter what life is throwing at her she seems to be able to deal with it very well. I know that with a lot of the issues that she has to deal with I wouldn’t have had her strength to continue. I would have crawled into a ball and not moved until it was safe to. But I would defiantly take her place when it comes to her relationship with Will (of course only the good bits).
But in saying all of that Slammed is a really powerful book that explores a lot of issues in just 317 pages. It will have you laughing one minute, bawling your eyes out the next second and then ready to through the book across the room. You know when you read a book like this that it is going to stay with you for a very long time. I now can’t wait to read Point of Retreat and finish off the series with This Girl.

5/5

Comments