Review: Seventeen & Gone


Seventeen & Gone
By Nova Ren Suma
Publisher: Hardie Grant Egmont Australia

Girls go missing every day.

Girls make plans to go, but they also vanish without meaning to, and sometimes people confuse one for the other. They slip out bedroom windows and into strange cars. They cross borders. They hitch rides, squeezing themselves into overcrowded backseats, sitting on willing laps. And then there are the girls who never reach where they’re going. Who disappear.

These girls are lost, and I’m the only one who’s seen them. I know their names.

I want to tell everyone about these girls, about what’s happening, I want to give warning, I want to give chase.

I’d do it, too, if I thought someone would believe me.

My review
I zipped through this book and is it any wonder why. Nova Ren Suma has brought us an inspiring storyline where one girl, Lauren, starts to see people that have been reported missing. The only thing is she is the only one that can see and hear them. The story begins when Lauren grabs a missing poster from a pole on the side of the road and starts her own investigation into the life of the missing girl, Abby Sinclair. And so begins Lauren finding more and more missing posters and seeing these people. She believes that these people are real and that they are sharing important information with her that can find them. But little does she really know what is going on and when she does find out will she have the strength to confront it?
Lauren is a really strong character in this book and I was instantly drawn to her. She didn’t let anyone get in her way no matter how hard they tried and always went above and beyond what most people would. She truly believed that these people where real and that they were talking to her and no one could tell her any different.
The concept for this book was very interesting and I had no idea about what was going on. If you had told me at the start what I found out at the end I don’t think I would have believed and to tell you the truth I kinder still find it a bit hard to believe. But in saying that I think that the book has now made me more aware what people, like Lauren, go through. I don’t want to say too much as I don’t want to give away the surprising ending but I will say that it had a major impact on me.
Seventeen & Gone would appeal to people who love Kimberly Derting’s The Body Finder Series will love this book.
4/5

Comments