Of Poseidon By Anna Banks Review

Of Poseidon
By: Anna Banks
Published by: Hardie Grant Edgmont
 
Galen is strong, protective and gorgeous, with striking violet eyes and a body to make you shiver- and that’s just when he’s in human form. He’s from the House of Triton, god of the sea, and he’s searching for a girl with the Gift of Poseidon to save his brother from marrying a fraud.

Emma is an eighteen-year-old accident-prone human. Or so she thinks.

When Emma meets Galen on the beach, they both sense a sizzling chemistry. But can Galen convince her that she holds the key to his kingdom- without letting on that he’s falling for her?

My review
Of Poseidon is about a young girl called Emma who one day accidently falls into the arms of a hot young boy. Not thinking anything of it she walks off with her best friend to go surfing, only for her friend to be attacked by a shark and killed. Little does Emma know that the boy she fell into is a prince from the House of Triton and is in fact a syrena and he has felt something when touching her that he believes means that she isn’t human.  And so begins Galen’s quest to find out if Emma is actually one of them and if she can save his brother from marrying, who he believes, a fraud.

First of I will start off with what I didn’t like about Of Poseidon and get it out of the way. I didn’t love about this book is how it was written from Emma and Galen’s point of view but how Emma’s POV is in 1st person whereas Galen’s is in 3rd person. I think that they either both should have been in 1st or 3rd POV not one and the other. I found it a little confusing and it put me off a bit.

But in saying that, I fell in love hard with the characters in this book and even though Rayna isn’t a main character she was my favourite. She was feisty and her love/hate relationship with Toraf brings an awesome dynamic to the book. Her arguing with her brother and Toraf and her fierce protectiveness of Emma and her love for her family is what makes her such an intriguing character. Don’t get me wrong I loved Emma and Galen and the relationship that they develop over the course of the story but it wasn’t my favourite part. But I did find their journey into finding out who or what Emma was to be interesting and I also loved the new term for mermaid that Anna Banks has used, Syrena.

Of Poseidon is my first book that I have read and reviewed about mermaids, or in this case Syrena, and it won’t be the last. I can’t wait to see where the author goes with the next book, Of Triton.
5/5


Favourite quote

“Basically, everyone thinks--knows--how sweet I am.

Emma, you threw my sister through hurricane-proof glass.” 

Comments