Book Review- Nevermore: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend

Nevermore: The Trials of Morrigan Crow
Author: Jessica Townsend
Publisher: Hachette 
Release date: 10th October 2017
Pages: 449 pages
R.R.P:  $16.99
                                         
Morrigan Crow is cursed. Born on an unlucky day, she is blamed for all local misfortunes, from hailstorms to heart attacks- and, worst of all. The curse means that Morrigan is doomed to die at midnight on Eventide.

But as Morrigan awaits her fate, a strange and remarkable man named Jupiter North appears. Chased by black-smoke hounds and shadowy hunters on horseback, he whisks her away into the safety of a secret, magical city called Nevermoor.

It's there that Morrigan discovers Jupiter has chosen her to contend for a place in the city's most pretigious organisation: the Wundrous Society. In order to join, she must compete in four difficult and dangerous trials against hundreds of other children, each boasting an extraordinary talent that sets them apart. Except for Morrigan, who doesn't seem to have any special talent at all.

To stay in the safety of Nevermoor for good, Morrigan will need to find a way to pass the tests- or she'll have to leave the city to confront her deadly fate.

My review
Thoughts on the book: Nevermore is the first book in debut Australian author Jessica Townsend's new fantasy series that is said to be the next Harry Potter. It tells the story of Morrigan who has lead a terrible life as she is cursed and everyone believes that whenever Somethjng bad happens it is all her fault. But according to this curse she is to die at midnight on Eventide, which is a whole year away. Well it was until suddenly the clock that tells them what time it is changes and Eventide is upon them. Sitting down to a last supper Morrigan and her family are surprised when a Mr Jupiter North suddenly appears and whisks Morrigan away to a magical world where she will be able to live a happy and healthy life. But there is a catch ... She needs to complete four trials that are extremely hard and dangerous to join the Wunderous Society. But if she doesn't complete the four tasks she will be taken back to her home and die like she was supposed to. Of course she agrees but will she make it through the four tasks or will she fail and have to meet her fate?

I was so lucky to receive a very early ARC copy of Nevermore thanks to Hachette Australia and the Date a Book team. I was so excited to receive it and start reading it as I had heard such amazing things about it and knew that it was going to have a massive campaign to promote it. However I did encounter a problem when reading it. I found it very slow at the start and it took me awhile before I really got into it but once I did I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I did really like the unique names of some of the characters such as Jupiter, Morrigan, Hawthorne and Fenestra. I love discovering new and different names in books and I think especially in Nevermore you know that these characters are quite quirky and their unique names defiantly match their personality. Morrigan meets some amazing new friends in Nevermore and I really enjoyed all of the different magical beings as well as human beings. I mean who wouldn't want their best friend to be the best dragon riding prankster around, their head of housekeeping to be a giant talking cat and the many different hotel guests that flow through Jupiter's amazing hotel. I throughly enjoyed the Nevermore world and especially Jupiter's Hotel Deucalion with its different occupants and different rooms. 

Now I myself wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the next Harry Potter but it is a fantastic children's book that my 10 and 8 year old will throughly enjoy and I will defiantly be on the lookout for future books in this series. Which I might add even though I own two copies (an ARC and a finished copy) my son today borrowed a copy from his school library because he couldn't wait for me to lend him one of my copies. 

Rating: 4/5





Comments

Post a Comment