Book Review: Screwdrived

Screwdrived
Author: Alice Clayton
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Australia
Screwdrivered (Cocktail, #3)
One romance... Stirred, Not Shaken!
By day, Viv Franklin is a tough-as-nails software engineer who crunches binary code as if it's candy. By night, Vivian indulges in bodice-ripping, corset-busting sex. Too bad it's all in her imagination.
Vivian has a deep, dark secret. She's a romance novel junkie, and her fantasies are filled with strapping firefighters and bare-chested cowboys. She wants flowing gowns, a house perched on a cliff, and a hero who will stir her loins.
So when she gets a phone call that she's just inherited a beautiful, old home (on a cliff) in Mendocino, California, from a long-forgotten aunt, Viv moves her entire life across country to embark on a great, romance-novel-worthy adventure. Except romance novels always have a twist...
The house comes with horses... and a super hot cowboy named Hank who would ignite the loins of any red-blooded woman. And then there's Clark. He's a librarian, complete with glasses and tweed jacket. Clark is about as far from a romance cover hunk as it's possible to get, and yet- Vivian has to admit he has a certain boy-next-door something that is oddly exciting.

My review
Thoughts on the book: As soon as I finished Rust Nailed I jumped right into Screwdrived to see where the series was headed next as I had really enjoyed the first two books. However Screwdrived didn't quite live up to my expectations. This could be because it isn't based on Caroline and Simon's world and is instead based on Simon's friend, Vivian who we met at Simon's school reunion back in Rusty Nailed. I missed reading about Caroline and Simon's wild sexcapades and about their friends and their subsequent relationships as I was really enjoying getting to know them. I also found that there wasn't as many hot and steamy moments in Screwdrived as the other previous two books and also when there was a hint of these such moments they were in Vivian's imagination and not actually really happening. This made for a more laid back read where you find out more about the characters being introduced to you then hot stems my scenes that would have you looking to cool down somehow after finishing.
That being said I did enjoy getting to know Vivian, geeky Clark and Jessica and enjoyed the love triangle that formed between Vivian, Cowboy. Hank and Geeky Clark. I did however find Vivian a bit hard to take when it came to her not taking more notice if Clark and how he felt towards her as it seemed so obvious to me. I will say that I think she defiantly did make the right choice in the end though (which I'm not going to give away so haha). Even though I know the next book in the series isn't about Caroline and Simon I am excited to read it and be introduced to another character who we don't know much about. On that note I will say that I do like that the author lets us get a tiny glimpse of the next character in the book even if we don't know it at the time.


Rating: 5/5

Comments