A Beautiful Wedding review

A Beautiful Wedding
By: Jamie McGuire
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Australia

You know that Abby Abernathy unexpectedly became Mrs. Maddox. But what do you really know?
Why did Abby pop the question?
What secrets were shared before the ceremony?
Who else knew about it… and didn’t tell?
                Everything about Abby and Travis’s elopement was top-secret… until now. Fans of Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster will get all of their questions answered in this whirlwind tale of the wedding day (and night!)- and as with all good stories, this one will defiantly have been worth the wait.

My review
CONTAINS SPOILERS
Plot: So we all know that after the fire where Travis’s fight was held, Abby and Travis went away and got married. Now we get to understand everything that happened while they were away in A Beautiful Wedding, which told in the POV of both Abby and Travis. It starts off just after they have gotten back to the apartment after the fire. All of a sudden Abby realises that they need to get out of town so that people can associate them with the fire and what better way than proposing to Travis and suggesting they elope to Las Vegas. Quite soon they are on a plane bound for Las Vegas and all set for their wedding. Upon arrival they book a wedding at a chapel, get a room and go searching, separately, for their wedding outfits. Once they both arrive at the chapel, Abby is put in a room to wait for Elvis to walk her down the aisle, but when it’s time she doesn’t seem to be ready. Travis ends up sliding a letter under the door that was written by his mother before she died to give to the future Mrs Maddox. Upon reading this Abby’s fears go away and they walk down the aisle and get married.

What I liked about the book: There were three things that I really loved about this book. The first is the relationship between Abby and Travis. They seem to understand each so much. They know each other’s feeling so well, which means they know when to back off and when to push. Secondly the letter that Travis’s mother wrote to the future Mrs Maddox. It was just beautiful and I think that everyone who reads it will need some tissues handy, because you won’t read it without crying. It would be amazing if all parent’s that couldn’t make it to their children’s wedding day because of whatever reason could do this. And lastly that Abby and Travis’s get to celebrate by renewing their vows in front of all their friends and family. I think this was a really important part of the book and it was by far my favourite, it just seemed to make the book.

What I didn’t like about the book: I hate to say it but I think it was a little cheesy that they chose an Elvis inspired chapel to get married at. I get that when you go to Vegas that is normally the type you go for and that it kind of really suits their style and the way they are but I personally would have preferred a normal person residing over the wedding.

Favourite character: By far it would have to be Travis Maddox (although really there are only really two characters to choose from). Throughout the book all he is thinking about is Abby, not what went on or where their future may lay, just Abby and how he can’t wait for her to be his wife. Even when it seems as if Abby can’t go through with the wedding, he understands and is willing to hold out until she is ready, even if she is never ready. He is a very loyal person and I would love to have him as my future husband.

Favourite part/quote: This is my favourite quote by far and truly shows how much Travis is in love with Abby to walk away from the one thing that he wants most.
 “I know you know I love you. What you may not know is that there is nothing I want more than to be your husband. But if you’re not ready, I’ll wait for you, Pigeon. I’m not going anywhere. I mean, yeah. I want this, but only if you do. I just . . . I need you to know that you can open this door and we can walk down the aisle, or we can get a taxi and go home. Either way, I love you.” 

If you like these books then you will love this book: Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster (the first two books previous to this one), books by Abbi Glines, Colleen Hoover and Katy Evans.

Rating: 5/5 without a doubt



Comments